Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Newsflash: Governor Supports Right to Vote!

Enquirer reporter Ben Fischer blogs that Ohio Governor Ted Strickland supports Cincinnatians' right to vote on ballot initiatives. Strickland said, "So, I’m not familiar with that particular initiative, but I believe in democracy and the peoples’ right to make a choice for themselves. I just would hope that they would understand all of the implications of making such a choice, and how it could have potentially have a detrimental effect upon the city. But you know, I believe in democracy.

Local Democrats had not briefed the Governor on the anti-boondoggle charter amendment, so he was a little wishy-washy on its potential impact. "I would have to look at the legal implications," said Strickland, "and I’m not sure what they would be. I’m just not sure whether or not a local vote like that could interfere with -- I could understand the local aspect of what’s happening within the city itself, but I would have to look more broadly at the legal implications of what it would mean for passenger service that would be connecting to other major cities and other parts of the country.

It's good to know there's at least one Democrat politician out there who isn't openly contemptuous of the peoples' right to participate in the political process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We follow the "living room" rule. Exhibit the same courtesy you would show guests in your home.