The state has an $8 BILLION deficit. To fill this shortfall, drastic cuts to schools, universities, Medicaid and public safety are expected. Local levies will then seek increases to makeup for state reductions. In other words, your taxes are likely going up to pay for a streetcar that nobody needs and few people want.
Public comments on TRAC's recommendation are being accepted until February 11th. If comments prove Ohioans don't want the streetcar, these bad outcomes can be avoided.
- CLICK HERE to send your comments to TRAC. A new message will open in your email program. If asked, allow it permission.
- Fill in your name and mailing address at the bottom of the message.
- Edit the body of the message to tell them what's most important to you.
- The Cincinnati Streetcar project will run only 3 miles (6-mile loop) (from National Underground Railroad Freedom Center to top of Vine Street Hill, Corryville);
- It has an initial projected cost of $128 million for construction only. The City already has identified cost overruns of $15 million for Duke Energy to move utility lines, bringing total projected costs to $143 million. More cost overruns are sure to follow. All cost overruns must come from the City's budget.
- The City has absolutely no plan, no idea how it will fund the operations of the streetcar, which former SORTA Board Member Stephan Louis estimates to be $10-$12 million per year.
- The City has no room in its operating budget for this additional cost, having papered over a $52 million deficit this year and facing police and fire layoffs by as early as this summer.
- 12 community organizations and numerous elected officials have united against this project the Cincinnati Tea Party, COAST, the Cincinnati Chapter of the NAACP, The Baptist Ministers Conference of Cincinnati Vicinity, the Greater Cincinnati Homeless Coalition, the Hamilton County Green Party, Westwood Concern, the FOP, the Firefighters union and the CODE Labor Union.
Ohio Department of Transportation
attn: Ed Kagel TRAC Coordinator
1980 W. Broad Street
Columbus, OH 43223