But the most remarkable, and entirely unexpected, outcome of November 2014 was the pickup of new governorships in left-leaning states and fending off tough challenges of Republican incumbents:
- Labor-reformers, against a withering offense from organized labor, sustained difficult challenges in Michigan and Wisconsin;
- The GOP retained governorships in hotly-contested Florida, and impossible-to-hold Maine;
- The Republican Party had stunning pickups in Massachusetts (!), Maryland (!), and deep-blue Illinois (!!!);
- Republicans ran up the score to 2-1 margins in already "won" contests like Ohio, Texas, Tennessee, and Nevada, with of course swing state Ohio being the most impressive of those wins; and
- Conservative stalwart Sam Brownback held his seat in a tough race, undermined by left-leaning members of his own party, in Kansas.
All we need to set the stage for this to happen is for Obama, Reid and Pelosi, and of course, Hillary Clinton, to "stay the course."
What a night it was!