Portune, however, fails to mention that he himself voted seven times in favor of this policy and this expenditure that he now blames for undermining the County's fiscal health:
- On April 5, 2006, Portune voted to direct the County Administrator to negotiate a contract with Butler County to house Hamilton County inmates.
- Noting that the Sheriff also approves the expenditure, Portune voted in favor of a second resolution on April 19, 2006 to appropriate $3,181,750 for housing inmates in Butler County.
- On April 26, 2006, Portune voted in favor of the contract with the Butler County Commissioners to house inmates there.
- On September 13, 2006, Mr. Portune voted to approved a resolution authorizing a contract with even more bed spaces for Hamilton County inmates - now 300.
- On March 7, 2007, after the democrats had taken control of the Commissioner Portune voted to approve an additional $3 million allocation for inmate costs.
- On May 23, 2007, an additional $2,087,000 was allocated for this purpose. Mr. Portune again voted in favor.
- On August 10, 2007, Portune and Pepper co-authored a further resolution to extend the jail contract for the remainder of 2007.